Our new Club Crest represents four historical landmarks in the four different area of our club.
- Mount Druid House – Ballinagare
- Cloonshanville Abbey – Frenchpark
- Douglas Hyde (First President of Ireland)
- Tibohine – Hill of Fairymount, Fairymount (Mullach Na Si)
Previous Club Names: Tibohine, Ballinagare, St. Enda’s Frenchpark (Minor Club).
New members and players are always welcome, and we extend the hand of friendship to all. If you wish to join, please contact any of the committee members as indicated on the “Committee” page on this web site – www.westerngaels.com
The Western Gaels Club was formed in Fairymount Hall in 1962. Gerry Finneran, John Lavin and Fr. Gerry O’Rourke were the founder members who set up the club following the recommendation of a special committee of the County Board in that year.
The club area consists of the parishes of Frenchpark and Fairymount in West Roscommon, close to the towns of Castlerea and Ballaghaderreen. Click here to see a map of the club area. Prior to that there were clubs in both parishes but due to emmigration both of these clubs were very weak. Probably the most famous son of the area is Dr. Douglas Hyde of Tibohone, who was Patron of the GAA from 1902 to 1915, and the first President of Ireland from 1938 to 1945. Ironically, he was banned from the GAA at Congress in 1939 for attending a soccer match. Another loyal servant to the GAA, Pádraig Ó Caoimh, Ard-Rúnaí 1939-1964 was born in the village of Ballinagare.
The amalgamation of both parishes proved very successful and success on the playing field began to come our way in the 1970’s when the club won five juvenile titles. This in turn helped us to our first major title at adult level – the Junior County Championship in 1977.
The success of underage teams in the early 1990’s – U-12, U-14 and two U-16 titles back to back contributed in no small way to winning the Co. Intermediate title for the first time in 1998, an U-21 title in 2000, a Minor ‘A’ title in 2002, and a second Intermediate title in 2004. That Intermediate team also brought further glory to the club by winning the Connaught Intermediate Championship.
The Club is honoured to have five members who won All-Ireland medals with Roscommon in the past. Seamus Lavin RIP – Minor (1939), John Lavin – Minor (1951), Michael Finneran – U-21 (1978) and Kevin Murray – U-21 (1978). The most recent winner was Kevin Higgins from Fairymount who was a member of the victorious Roscommon Minor All-Ireland champions in 2006.
The Club had its greatest achievement on July 31st 1983 when a first class enclosed playing field (the Martin Nash Memorial Park) and Club rooms (the Canon Flynn Memorial Club rooms) were officially opened.
The programme that day consisted of a Junior Championship game between St. Ronan’s and Michael Glavey’s, an Intermediate Challenge between Western Gaels and St. Croan’s, and a Senior Inter-County Challenge game between Roscommon and Galway. Refurbishment of the ground, including the development of a new stand and an extension and upgrading of the club rooms took place in 2005.